We run introductory courses for newcomers wanting to learn fly fishing. The courses take place at Saladin Lodge in Narbethong, around 90 minutes drive from Melbourne, in the picturesque Yarra Ranges.
Fly fishing may seem to be a difficult and complicated way to catching fish. These courses are designed to de-mystify fly fishing and provide an opportunity to learn, in a relaxed and engaging half day course. Each course is limited to a maximum 5 participants per instructor. This ensures that you receive sufficient attention from your instructor.
The day begins at 10:30 with an interactive overview to help you understand this artful fishing: A little history, and simple explanations with plenty of time to ask questions. We will quickly move to practical group casting lesson which is led by a qualified casting instructor. We will soon have you casting, helping you understand the fundamentals that will allow you improve more quickly. Next we move to the Lodge’s lake to put your new skills into practice and try to catch a trout.
There will be a break for a delicious buffet luncheon, prepared by Kim, caterer extraordinaire, and the owner of Saladin Lodge. Afterwards the casting and fishing lesson will continue. The day will finish about 3pm.
Non fishing friends and family are welcome to attend the luncheon, and to enjoy the Sculpture garden walk. The cost for the luncheon only is $35* per person. Bookings essential.
Saladin Lodge: 1188 Maroondah Hwy, Narbethong VIC 3778
What to bring
- Lunch, Tea, Coffee, Water
- Use of Rods, reels, lines flies.
- A fishing licence is NOT required as we fish in Private Water
- Waders are NOT required, you will not be entering the water
What you need to bring:
- If you have your own rod/reel/ etc, bring it, I will have a rod, reel and line for everyone but it is good to learn with your own gear too.
- Sunglasses or eye protection.
- Gumboots or suitable sturdy foot wear to keep feet dry and mud free
- Weather suitable clothing:
- Long sleeve shirt
- Long trousers
- Raincoat (in case of rain)
- Suitable additional layers of clothing. Weather can be quite variable so it is good to be prepared. It is good to carry a few layers. Avoid cotton. Woollen, or polypro thermal layers are preferred)
- A dry change of clothes (sometimes nice at the end of a wet day)
- If you have known allergies severe enough to require one, please bring your epiPen.
Bookings and dates:
For course dates and bookings please, check our website at :
Or contact us:
Mobile: 0412 168 020
* Prices are for direct bank payments (Electronic Funds Transfer). Credit Card Payments and PayPal payments incur additional processing fees (2 to 3% approx.). For Bank Account details please contact us.
For the cancellation and refund policy for Introductory Course and Luncheon, (The Services), please refer to Terms & Conditions.